Tuesday 20 August 2013

If Carlsberg made chocolate chip cookies...

I have a confession to make - I am a coeliac - no, not a celeriac as Mr S keeps telling people.  I am a non-gluten and non-wheat eating person, and not by choice.  Lovely crusty white bread is out of bounds, gooey chocolate cake is a no go, pizza is off limits, biscuits are banished, pasta is... well I think you are getting the picture by now - most nice food is not for me.  So when I am sent a link to a recipe claiming to be the best gluten free chocolate cookie recipe ever I had to try it.

Now I'm not a culinary goddess, but in true 'I know best' fashion I changed the recipe a bit as I went along as it was 10pm, I wanted chocolate biscuits and I didn't have the ingredients listed in the original recipe.  Here is my altered recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 200g ground almonds
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 50g room temperature butter 
  • 50g runny honey
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 bar of Green & Blacks 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate - chopped up
Oven Temperature: 350F or Gas Mark 4

Instructions:

Chuck the dry ingredients in a bowl, mix them, add the wet ingredients and mix until the mixture is holding together then mix in the chopped chocolate.  Try not to mix it too much as the combination of the honey and butter makes the mixture quite wet.

Roll the mixture into small balls and place them on a baking tray with greaseproof paper on.  Squish the balls down a bit and then put in the oven for around 11 - 15 minutes until golden brown (this is longer than the original recipe but they tasted quite doughy so I put them back in the oven) then leave them to cool on a baking tray.

Were they the best ever?  Well, they were pretty damn good, super quick, soft and chocolatey, so they will be made again.  In fact they were so good they disappeared super quick.  I didn't even get a picture of them, so I have borrowed the picture off www.healthycrush.com (I hope they don't mind).

http://healthycrush.com/wp-content/uploads/cookies-complete.png 
Jen xx

No comments:

Post a Comment