Monday 2 September 2013

Things are a changing...

Today was mini munch's first day proper at creche.  He loved it, I was a bit sad as this starts the wheel turning towards me going back to work after nearly a year off.  Not only is it returning to work, it's a completely new job, in a new location, with a new house to boot.  So I did what every woman should in these situations - ate ice cream.

What was good was I got 4 hours of monster munch's time uninterrupted by poo-ey nappies, feeding, squeaking and general baby behavior.  I think I was more excited than the monster munch.  We had to wait for a man to mend the water tank which encroached on our morning of fun but once that was sorted we headed to the Port to watch ships being off-loaded (a small boys heavy machinery heaven) and then went for ice cream.  I also let monster munch touch everything in the bead shop and make all the tourist wind chimes tinkle in the tat shops.

Mini munch was as happy as Larry when we picked him up - he'd spent most of the morning gnawing on a drumstick and flirting with the creche ladies.  I think the changes will not bother him one jot!

The afternoon had been planned as making grass heads (hey ho we can save this for another day) and making spinach and lentil curry (again I'm sure I can do this another day) and instead we played with bricks and trains, went swimming and mini munch ate a turtle!  Luckily it was not the endangered variety but the egg box version - he went green and the eyes went missing - luckily I located them in the roof of his mouth before they caused any damage.

Tonight I have started the final preparations for a small walk across Scotland that my family and friends will be starting next Saturday.  230 miles in 2 weeks, the boys are doing the walking, I'm driving the support vehicle (kindly donated by Collie Dog Campers) that will contain me, Missy V, the munches and a dog.  I think Mr S got the better deal! 

The walk is in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support, but more importantly in memory of my Mum who died of breast cancer last year just before mini munch was born and after 8 years of fighting beast cancer.  We will be walking to many places we visited with mum and dad as children and I think this time it will be very different  - we will be creating new memories with the munches but also remembering the old ones. 

So whilst today didn't involve any physical making of things - I endeavor to remember the memories we made - ice cream and cranes, first day at creche and a turtle murder - as I have memories of my Mum that will never change even though the decades and people have.

Jen xx

No comments:

Post a Comment